What’s up my fellow Kings! I want to bring something crucial to your attention. I have encountered Kings that can put together the coldest outfits but don’t practice basic grooming. Which is contradicting in my opinion, because that fit isn’t fire if your breath is on fire. Like that fresh white tee isn’t crispy clean, if your hairline isn’t. See where I am headed with this? If you ever heard the saying, “When you look great you feel great,” you know that statement is straight facts. Grooming is the act of cutting, trimming, styling, and nourishing body hair, along with bodily cleansing. Poor grooming is what employers and Queens will notice during a first impression. Proper grooming can boost up your confidence to whole new altitude. Poor grooming is what is hindering you from getting a date with the Queen you met on Saturday. Proper grooming is what sets apart one King from another, it is no competition but you have to be on your A game in all areas of life.
Throughout my 20 years of living, I still learn through experience, and trial and error. For the King’s that did not have that father figure there to remind us how to properly groom, what to use, how to use it, etc. I hope you take notes and leave with something new after reading up on these 5 grooming tips.
Clean and Cut Nails
Keeping your nails clean from dirt and cut short can make a huge difference. In the world of business, this is imperative when you are in networking environments. You are in close proximity to potential business partners, talking and making connections. A person may judge you based on the maintenance of your nails and may think twice whether to shake your hand or not.
- Go get a manicure. GET OUT THE HABIT OF BITING YOUR NAILS. This will not only create raggedy looking nails but it also screams nervousness. Nobody likes “booty diggers”. Therefore, Leave about 1-2 millimeters of white on your nail. nail clippers will produce even looking nails. Getting a manicure cost about $12-$20. Self care is an investment, spend your money wisely.
- Wash hands often. This is the easy way to always make sure your nails are clean, while also reducing the risk of hosting or sharing cold-causing germs.
- Moisturize hands daily for a natural, healthy and polished look.
Keep Up with Your Hairstyle
Whatever hairstyle you have whether it is Locs, Caesar, fade, braids, twists, or an Afro in any length. Every hairstyle is fine because hair is power. Just as long it is properly styled, healthy, and clean.
Maintaining your lining is the key to a nice hairstyle. A King should always be able to touch up their own lining in times of need. I personally own a pair liner clippers and a straight razor. The straight razor is what keeps my lining the most geometrical, and can clean up any straggling hairs. If you want to learn more about the Straight Razor click here.
- Clean your hair often. Wash your hair 1-2 times a week depending on your daily product use and sweat production. Buy quality shampoo and conditioner. Black kings with course 4 hair, should stay away from shampoo ingredients that contain harsh sulfates, bad alcohols (short chain alcohol), Petrolatum, and mineral oil.
- Moisturize your hair daily. Using natural hair products and/or natural oils will guarentee good looking healthy hair. Natural oils includes such as jojoba oil, argan oil, olive oil, Shea butter, aloe vera, etc.
- Clean up eyebrows. I know what you are thinking Kings. “Only women get their eyebrows done” False! A uni-brow is a unisex thing. Unless you are Anthony Davis Jr. unibrows are not the new wave. You don’t have to shape them up. However, if you’re out here like Oscar the Grouch then pluck the hairs in between your eyebrows. Use tweezers or go to get them cleaned up for about $10 from a certified esthetician. Don’t let your ego in the way of the simple things.
- Trim armpit hair and pubic hair. This is self-explanatory because of the fact that you don’t want a forest in either one of those areas. Long length hair in these areas, produce and hold more moisture, which is the breeding ground for odor-causing bacteria. Trimming is your best friend.
- Shave the neck-beard. This has a double meaning. The excess hair that goes from your beard onto your neck should be completely shaved because a beard is simply for your face, not your neck. The second meaning is the connection from your beard to the back of your neck, I call this the Neanderthal. This only occurs when you haven’t had a beard trim, haircut, lining for an extended period of time.
- Chest/arm/leg/ happy trail hair shaving (optional). King’s, this is up to your discretion on whether to shave it or not. Too much hair in any of those places could cause odor or could be viewed as nasty. Therefore, a trim is always the best move, but as far as shaving, do what you please.
Wash Face and Moisturize Daily
- Wash face at least once a day. A daily face wash varies depending on your skin type. A face wash is needed to remove daily dirt from your skin to keep your skin looking healthy and reduce blackheads. Going more natural will aid your skin in the long run.
- Moisturizing daily goes hand in hand with daily face washing. Moisturizing right after cleansing is key because after you remove all the daily dirt and residue from your face, your face may be dry. Having that said, moisturizing gives your skin the proper hydration, SPF protection, and anti-aging properties to replenish your skin. Going with natural products is always best if I have not stressed that enough.
- Exfoliate twice a week. Exfoliation is removing the dead skin cells on the outermost layer of your skin, allowing new skin cells to regenerate. There are all types of ways to exfoliate. For example, there are home scrub remedies like combining sugar, honey, lemon, and coconut oil, you can use a spin brush or apricot scrubs.
- Brush teeth night and day, and floss daily. Your whole family, teacher, Nick Jr, Disney Channel, Dentist, News channel, commercials, Kellogg’s, and the list goes on. This is something you hear everywhere. This is no shocker. Maintaining a proper night and day teeth brushing and flossing routine will reduce the risk of cavities, gum disease, and bad breath.
- Use a teeth whitener. The purpose of this is to have a vibrant smile. As people of color, nothing looks nicer than a melanated individual with bright teeth. There are a variety of teeth whitening kits, kinds of toothpaste, and devices out there to bring you these results. If you want to go natural, brushing your teeth with Charcoal toothpaste, or Coconut oil pulling can remove impurities from your mouth to give it a naturally clean, white look, and remove bad breath causing bacteria.
- Keep gum on your personal. This can go a long way. Reinforcing fresh breath throughout the day that can save you in various situations.
- Keep your chapstick on your personal. Crusty, rusty, dusty lips will get your feelings hurt, and it actually hurts when it’s cold outside and you have to talk. Now you have cracked lips. It would be tragic if you are talking to a queen or doing business networking and your lips are chapped. Drink water and moisturize your lips.
As you soak in all those helpful tips, men’s grooming is a crucial part of being a King. As we strive for excellence and success. Being the best version of yourself begins with self-care, and upholding your image. I hope this post gave you the knowledge needed to boost your confidence, hygiene, and image. I suggest you implement these grooming tips into your life and make sure you uplift as you climb by sharing this post with other Kings out there!
Leave any comments, questions, concerns below or reach out to me via the contact page, and DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE.